Hindsight is a wonderful thing and a cruel teacher isn’t it?
There are so many things that I wish someone had told me over the last 25 years, there are so many things that I wish I’d learned sooner and way more things, if I’m honest, that I’d listened to when somebody DID take the time to tell me!
I wish someone had told me…
- That my life was going to turn upside down at 16.
- That there was no “right” way to grieve.
- That coming out wouldn’t be as scary as it seemed.
- That I didn’t “need” my ALevels but it would probably be sensible to actually work for them.
- That enjoying eating so much in my teenage years would make the 20 year old Lex hate me!
- That the silly stubborn streak I posses (and despise) would become my greatest resource (and worst enemy).
- That I’m going to have to go through the interview process A LOT and sometimes it’s going to really hurt.
- What real friends looked like.
- To properly start writing much sooner.
- To practice the flipping piano!!
So many things I wish I’d known sooner, learnt quicker, payed attention to and not had to learn from hindsight’s mocking ‘I told you so’. But do you know what? I needed hindsight. I wouldn’t have learnt what I have and be who I am without having to learn these things myself.
So in many ways, I’m glad I never knew, was never told or didn’t listen.